LIP-0: Burn the keys to the Loot contract

I could not be more excited about this proposal for burning the keys. This is such a pure, strong statement about what this project and community is about: a game universe owned by the community building it where anyone can make a difference.

I can’t vote via Loot token as I don’t have any but as someone building on Loot can only say that this is absolutely the direction I want the project to go in. Huge support for this.

:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

4 Likes

Legit.Burn it all. Im supporting %100

1 Like

Will vote yes with my 6 bags. Well thought out and well structured.

Let’s ship it :handshake:

2 Likes

I’m voting yes.

Let’s not give the opportunity for a group to officially bless initiatives. We need more building and experimentation.

1 Like

@dom Thank you for writing this clear and eloquent proposal that I believe comprehensively frames the issue.

I appreciate that through this proposal, we will decide whether to burn the keys before any subsequent decision. I also appreciate very much that LIP-0 includes plans for a follow-up proposal regarding the fate of the remaining loot, regardless of the outcome of this vote. I am fully in favor of Dom taking 21 loot regardless of the outcome.

I agree that we should burn the keys. I am very encouraged to see @heygareth.eth as representative of AGLD supports burning the keys. Loot is stronger as an ecosystem without any government whatsoever.

Loot has a very bright future as a genuinely permissionless cc0 ecosystem. I hope AGLD and many other derivatives find their unique and permissionless path to flourishing success, self-sufficiency, and the suitable governance for their community of stakeholders. I love this project.

3 Likes

It’s a good proposal because it puts everyone on the same playing field and it prevents changes being made to something that the community already feels is immutable.
If we really wanted a treasury to kick-start development, we can either use AGLD, or we can authorize you to sell those remaining 200 bags with funds going directly into said treasury before you burn the keys.

I support burning the keys. Having an official treasury that funds ecosystem grants feels extremely lame to me, and would optimize for people who are good at applying for smart grant ideas instead of creative hackers and builders. For me, the existence of a treasury funding Loot grants would make me less interested in building on Loot at all, and I’ve talked to several devs who feel the same.

Personally, I think the privileges of the owner have been clear since the moment of deployment. The creator bags are Dom’s. I know the details here are out of scope for this proposal, but to me the cleanest outcome is that Dom personally claims all of the owner bags, then renounces ownership. What happens to those bags after he claims them is his personal decision. This is the pure solution.

Loot can prosper on rough consensus and running code. Many DAOs and treasuries will form, but they should do so out of organic self-organization by people with a shared purpose, not through coopting the owner’s rights to form an “official” entity.

4 Likes

fully support burning the keys :fire:

1 Like

I really feel like burning the keys is most inline with the spirit of the project.

This is amazing and I’m so excited to see this market come into existence.

2 Likes

awesome, @dom first creates loot, now saves it from endless “control discussions” which drain so much energy that we may soon be able to channel toward building tools and infrastructure for the lootverse (if we vote to burn the keys).

I vote: burn the keys!

1 Like

what about the keys for More Loot? Is anyone in favor of a proposal to burn those as well?

3 Likes

Burn the ships! This is very much in the spirit of Loot.

Shapeshift decentralized itself into Fox. Coinbase is being threatened with lawsuits. Organizations get hit with business license requirements, KYC, AML, and then they whither. Fan mods of popular games get hit with cease and desists. No brainer here. Keep it simple. Burn

1 Like

I am fully in support of the burn!

Incredibly supportive of this prposal. Thank you Dom!!!

I think this is a fantastic proposal, and while I’m a huge DAO proponent, so would like to see the opportunity for Loot to have a DAO, I think in this case you’ve made a strong argument, and in light of the current situation, feels like burning the keys is the best outcome.

2 Likes

The primary benefit of keeping the keys, and the only one that matters in my view, is also the primary source of potential harm. The fact that the contract owner can signal support could be a tremendous benefit but is clearly a double edged sword in that it creates ‘official’ vs unofficial activities.

The royalties and treasury for funding are at best ancillary, many ecosystem projects that require capital could find it, but certainly those that fit the description of public goods will run into the usual problems with public good funding.

If it was the case that you (Dom) were interested in occupying the role of contract owner and de-facto leader, then I would have voted in favor of keeping the keys. It is clear that you’re a good actor, you’re an innovator, you’ve put something incredibly unique into the world that’s got all of us here incredibly excited, and I think the lot of us would have accepted it gladly. I do believe that in the right hands the benefit of keeping the keys would outweigh the harm, even if it is against the odds.

However, given your preference I’m in favor of burning the keys. I believe that we can galvanize other DAOs and initiatives needed to push Loot forward and built out the Lootiverse. Even if there are competing DAOs, we can each decide on the initiatives and direction that we find appealing, and work on those. It will be up to each DAO and initiative to ensure that it doesn’t run out of steam.

2 Likes

The path to decentralize the project, which I believe most if not all of us are for, goes through burning the keys.

3 Likes

I’m in to support of burning the keys. 1000%
Loot Bag’s #75 and #4860

I think the loot project philosophy has it right: pretty much anything that anyone creates “exists”, what matters is to what extent other people build upon it. VB

THANK YOU @dom

1 Like

A huge YES from me. Just came here to say this.

1 Like