Genesis Scrolls Round 1: The Book of Enlightenment (Chapter 1: The Lady in the Mist)

**Name/Pseudonym:** raulonastool
**Contact Info:** Discord: raulonastool#0627 | Twitter: https://twitter.com/raulonastool
**Ethereum Wallet Address:** 0x2531B2FF6a7f08c6Ab12c29D1b394788F819DeB1

“Wake up, Artemus” a voice whispered.

The voice didn’t belong to anyone Artemus knew. It was soft and soothing as if it were caressing his face while it gently slipped into his ears and alerted his senses to the presence of a stranger.

“Wake up.” The voice repeated, this time firmer in its tone.

Artemus opened his eyes. They were made of lead. Artemus hadn’t managed a good night’s rest in several days. He had been tracking a small pack of wolves that had been ravaging the local cattle in his home town of Lunnon, a rural community on the outskirts of the northern realm of Pintat. His eyelids collapsed and his head nodded forward succumbing to the weight of his dreary eyes.

“Wake up!” The voice yelled.

Artemus, now fully alert, rose to his feet. His left hand comes up to guard his face and his right hand grasps the hunter’s knife holstered onto his belt. His right leg drags backwards to support his weight as Artemus squats into a fighting stance, prepared to fight off any rogue thief looking to plunder his weapons and purse.

His hands fall and shoulders relax. Artemus is surprised to find that he is surrounded by a deep, white mist. He can barely see anything further than an arm’s length in front of him.

“What is this?” He mutters to himself.

“Wake up, Artemus.” The voice reappears. It is a woman’s voice.

The mist surrounding Artemus slowly recedes revealing a woman cloaked in pearl-white robes, lined with gold. Her hood covers her face and eyes. Artemus can only make out her pale skin and pressed lips. She is holding a large silver key emitting a glimmering blue light in her hands.

“Who are you?” He demanded.

The mist returned, this time engulfing him completely. He was blinded by the white haze, unable to determine up from down or left from right.

“WAKE UP!” the voice screamed. Artemus felt the grasp of two hands on his shoulders, aggressively shaking him back and forth. This time he was unable to react or move his body. He closed his eyes and clenched his jaw. The shaking stopped.

When he opened his eyes he was surprised to find that he was lying on a cabin floor. His best friend, Xedho, was leaning over him with a concerned look on his face.

“You alright there, champ?” Xedho asked.

“The woman in the mist.” Artemus groaned, swiftly sitting himself up “Where-”

“Woah!” Xedho cut him off. “The old lady’s herbs must be taking effect.” He gestured for Artemus to lay back down.

“Lay back down, Artemus. You’ve been sleeping for three days. You shouldn’t make any sudden movements. You’re still healing.”

Artemus notices his arms and midsection wrapped in bandages.

“Those are fresh. Did it myself this morning. You’re lucky to be alive. How did you manage to kill an entire pack of wolves anyways? There must have been at least a dozen of them.”

Artemus furrows his brow. He doesn’t remember ever finding the pack, let alone killing them and making it back to the village.

“You don’t have to answer that. You can tell me over a drink later. For now, get some rest. I got a new job for you when you’re ready. You owe me for staining my floors.”

I hereby waive all copyright and related or neighboring rights together with all associated claims and causes of action with respect to this work to the extent possible under the law.