Greetings, fellow adventurers.
This post comes from a debate recently held on Discord, where we all acknowledged moving to a forum would be best.
I hope this thread makes it easier for people to stick around and follow the conversation.
Essentially, the Loot community seems now to be split between two different factions of people.
The first group supports the creation of a DAO with an associated token (perhaps AGLD, perhaps something else) which would take “control” of the Loot project and essentially give control of it “back to the people”.
The second group doesn’t support this, and would rather retain the current Loot status, which means no gatekeeping, no voting, no DAOs nor “democracies” of the people and so on.
Points I have seen which favor the creation of a DAO:
- “Verified” Loot projects being endorsed based off public DAO voting, so less risk on airdrops from the outer Loot community (e.g. malevolent derivative(s) and so on).
- A transparent and verifiable structure of control for the Discord channel.
Points I have seen which don’t favor the creation of a DAO:
- Historically, DAOs with an economic principle behind voting power tend to become plutocracies, so the risk of a rich Loot owner choosing everything is pretty high.
- Historically, DAOs without an economic principle behind voting power aren’t without risks.
- As of right now, the “official” discord isn’t really official and the current moderator team who volunteered doesn’t seem to be enacting any gatekeeping of sorts. If this were to happen, we, as a community, would easily be able to move to another discord.
- As of right now, the risk of a DAO seizing control and actively gatekeeping would be much higher, and recovering from something like that would be pretty tough.
- The principle of Loot is freedom to do anything - this is what makes it so revolutionary. Adding a DAO may risk going against this principle.
- Dom himself didn’t have a thought on DAOs and said he “would rather focus on building”, which leads me to agree with him. Building is the best place where we should be focusing our energies.
Please, let me know if I missed anything/feel free to add points pro/contra.
May luck assist you in your travels, adventurers.