Proposal for gas-free universal Loot expansion packs

Typed this up on HackMD but think discussion would be useful here!

7 Likes

This proposal would solve a lot of pain points that currently exist in the Loot community.

I like the idea of incentivizing creators via fees, but I ultimately see grants as one of the more powerful forms of incentive when it comes to fostering creativity.

Right now, there are a lot of people who want to participate in the Loot community in one way or another, but might not necessarily have the skills to actually write or deploy a smart contract. It would be great to see some sort of grant program that helps pair up devs, artists, visionaries, etc. $AGLD could easily work to fund the grant program. Having such a program in place would make Loot Project more inviting to those outside the crypto world, and ultimately foster more collaboration and creativity both in the community and building on the platform itself.

4 Likes

Agreed! I think it would be really great if initiatives spun up that could help fund and put together expansions.

1 Like

100% agreed. This will save many gas wars on claiming expansions.
But will the expansions be transferred automatically when the Loot get traded on the secondary market? If so, can the extensions be traded separately?

For the incentivaztion part, I have concerns that this will hurt the principle of fair launch if authors can claim configurable fee. My point is there should be no money grants to expansion developers as they already have infomation advantage to mint early by themselves.

My point is there should be no money grants to expansion developers as they already have infomation advantage to mint early by themselves.

In the proposed model, there is no minting of expansions — you just get it for free and automatically. The only exception is if the data is “detached” by minting a claim.

But will the expansions be transferred automatically when the Loot get traded on the secondary market? If so, can the extensions be traded separately?

Yes, all currently “equipped” expansions (whether automatic or through a claim) would be transferred. If someone were buying a piece of Loot they’d be able to look it up on a crawler to see what expansion data is attached to it.

In this case, the registry contract could allow an adventurer to mint a claim to their expansion data.

Would the minting happen on the expansion contract, but be granted / gated by the registry, or would the registry mint all these extension tokens Ă  la Art Block style?

Worried that the former would impair the variability in terms of how economic models and such.

I think they’d be minted by the registry. You’re not minting the actual data but a claim to the data. The registry and crawlers would default to Bag 123 → Data 123, but if there were trades of the claim on Data 123 they could reconcile that.

That’s easy, but it would make it harder for extension projects to get some sort of revenue model from it, for better and for worse. I feel like perhaps the claim() function on the registry could call a standard function on the respective extension contract like authorizeMint(uint256 lootId) payable {} which could then implement its own logic dictating the sale. If returns true / succeeds, then registry could mint that claim. This allow for royalty free claims or paid ones, up to the expansion creator.

Adds a bit of complexity, but pretty easy to standardize and feels like it would give extension builders a lot more flexibility.

I think that may open it up to abuse or error. Being able to define a fee on the registry and having the registry automatically forward the fee accomplishes the same thing with a few more assurances. It also maintains the registry as the source of truth rather than many disparate contracts and ensures that there is a standard format for claim NFTs.

2 Likes

That’s a good simplification indeed.

I really like this proposal.
One of my immediate concerns when I discovered the project was the huge amount of derivatives popping up everywhere creating fragmentation and a terrible waste of gas. Many looked like attempts at riding the Loot hype train and making bank.

When do we start building the registry? : )